22 September, 2005

Poetry and songs and how to identify the sex of a dragon

I have often been asked where the nick Furzl comes from. I am not always to keen to share a piece of me that dates back more than ten years. But in the interest of keeping my blog real here goes.

Furzl is not so much a word as a sound if you can imagine. The sound been part of a chemically induced high. L.S.D was my drug of choice at the time. Whilst under the influence of the drug I experienced a hallucination of a dragon formed with hypnotic lines. It's eyes were spinning wheels of colour. Its face benevolent and funny, a small red tongue. The sounds rushing through my ears getting faster and faster. His eyes spinning faster and faster untill there was an explosion, streams of colour spewing forth from his mouth and ears. He would put on a repeat performance over and over faster and faster. He was a jolly fellow and made me laugh.

Somewhere in this trip I tried to record what I was experiencing on paper. Perhaps against my better judgement I give you what I wrote.

FURZLSHOOOZZZZ, FIZZLEPOP AND A GOOD LUCK DRAGON

WHIZZ AND POP
ELVIN CHATTER
SOUND WAVE DRAGON
COLOURED SPLATTER
WHIRL AND WHIZZ RACE AND ZOOM
TEN PAST REALITY
WHINE AND HUM
SOAR AND RUSH
SPEW OF LIGHT
THOUGHTS OF LUST, LAUGHTER, FRIGHT
SHATTERING SHIVER
JARRING QUAKE
STREAMERS FLYING
RAINBOW TWIRL

HERE I GO AGAIN

WHIZZ AND ………………………

From the title of this poem Furzl came to be.


At this point, (if you are still here) you may ask so how did I actually identfy his sex as a male dragon. Well actually since he was too ethereal to lift and check underneath, I had to rely on my instinct. Trust me it was a boy dragon.

Poetry set to music is probably my favourite kind. At the moment I am listening to Leonard Cohen quite a bit.


DANCE ME TO THE END OF LOVE

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the end of love

Oh let me see your beauty when the witnesses are gone
Let me feel you moving like they do in Babylon
Show me slowly what I only know the limits of
Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the wedding now, dance me on and on
Dance me very tenderly and dance me very long
We're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above
Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the end of love

Dance me to the children who are asking to be born
Dance me through the curtains that our kisses have outworn
Raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn
Dance me to the end of love

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in
Touch me with your naked hand or touch me with your glove
Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the end of love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOw, that's quite the story. I always had thought that Furzl was some sort of Austrian-German diminuitive of Furt -- meaning Little Ford (or something like that).

maybe the dragon was driving a Ford compact car?

(Now you're probably thinking I'm on my own LSD trip ...)